Damascus, Syria – On Saturday, the Syrian regime approved its willingness to take part in upcoming negotiations with the opposition in Moscow.
Earlier this year, two rounds of peace talks were held in Geneva between delegations from the Syrian regime and the opposition, without bringing about any change in the positions of both sides of the conflict –which has so far claimed lives of more than 200,000 Syrians, according to U.N. official reports.
According to the Syrian state television, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs demonstrated on Saturday its readiness to participate in Moscow peace talks next month.
“Syria is ready to participate in preliminary discussions in Moscow in order to meet the aspirations of Syrians to find a way out of crisis,” the source quoted an official in the Syrian Foreign Ministry as saying.
On the other hand, the opposition’s main body of the Syrian National Coalition (SNC) expressed its suspicions about the Russian-led plans, arguing that Moscow has supported Assad regime during more than three years of war.
“There is no initiative as rumored,” said Hadi al-Bahra, head of the SNC on Saturday.
“Russia does not have a clear initiative, and what is called for by Russia is just a meeting and dialogue in Moscow, with no specific paper or initiative,” he told reporters in Cairo.
Reporting by: Laila Majdalawi
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter