URFA – President of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Masoud Barzani, expressed willingness of the Peshmerga forces to take part in the U.S.-backed military campaign to liberate Raqqa in northeastern Syria from the extremist group of Islamic State (ISIS), French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Sunday.
Raqqa is deemed the main bastion for the terror group in Syria.
Le Drian urged more attacks on ISIS positions in Raqqa and Mosul, saying the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle will be ready for attacks on the terror group on Monday.
Commenting on the battle for Raqqa, Le Drian said there will be a possible role for the Kurdish Peshmerga in the ground operations, pointing out “the Kurds and the Free Syrian Army (FSA) could be the boots on the ground for victory against ISIS.”
“We are willing to head to Raqqa. We have to organize ourselves to retake it; it is our next target,” Le Drian quoted Barzani as saying.
“The anti-ISIS battle will be a long-term one,” Le Drian added, calling on both the U.S. and Russia to intensify anti-ISIS airstrikes in a bid to eliminate the terror group as soon as possible.
Commenting on the French minister’s remarks, attorney Ferid Hisso told ARA News: “President Barzani’s remarks might refer to the participation of Rojava’s Peshmerga forces (Kurdish fighters who dissented from Syrian army and trained in Iraqi Kurdistan) and not the Iraqi Kurdistan’s Peshmerga forces.”
“We hope that the Kurds would not come out of this war empty-handed; their anti-ISIS battles should bring them positive results for the Kurdish cause as a whole.”
France has intensified its airstrikes in Syria since ISIS claimed responsibility for last week’s deadly attacks in Paris.
Reporting by: Jan Nasro
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter