Thousands evacuated from last rebel enclave in Aleppo

stream_img-2.jpg

Red Crescent members hold hands while rebel fighters and civilians wait to be evacuated from a rebel-held sector of eastern Aleppo. Photo: Reuters

ِARA News

Aleppo – The final evacuations from eastern Aleppo have begun. Eight buses and more than 80 cars left the city’s last rebel enclave on Wednesday, bound for Idlib Governorate.

According to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), roughly 25,000 people have been evacuated from Aleppo in the last seven days.

A monitoring mission from the United Nations has observed the evacuation in cooperation with the ICRC and local aid organizations. Samantha Power, the United States’ UN ambassador, said that the monitors would deter “some of the [regime’s] worst excesses.”

A local source told ARA News that Wednesday’s convoy had safely left eastern Aleppo amid harsh weather.

Last week, Aleppo’s rebel factions conceded that they had lost the “mother of all battles,” after sustaining debilitating losses. They have since agreed to withdraw as part of a local ceasefire agreement.

The opposition’s morale had ebbed as it became clear that no relief force was going to penetrate the army’s siege lines and no international agency was going to ground the Russian Air Force.

“The battle for Aleppo has ended with a victory for the regime of President Bashar al-Assad and Russia,” human rights activist Louay al-Halabi told ARA News at the time.

The oppositions’ loss comes after years of fighting, that claimed the lives of tens of thousands and razed much of Syria’s former financial capital.

Reporting by: Helin Saeed | Source: ARA News 

For the latest news follow us on Twitter

Join our Weekly Newsletter

Shortlink:

Related Items

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one + seven =

Top