Rebel fighters of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) on Tuesday launched an offensive against Turkey’s military forces in the Kurdish-majority province of Diyarbakir.
The PKK attacked a Turkish army convoy with mortar fire and explosive devices, killing at least 15 Turkish soldiers.
“The operation also led to the destruction of 7 military vehicles,” a PKK spokesman told ARA News.
The Kurdish official added that the targeted vehicles had been loaded with heavy weapons and ammunition “that would have been used against the Kurdish people.”
“The strategic operation against Turkey’s military on Tuesday prevented dozens, if not hundreds, of casualties among the Kurdish people,” he told ARA News.
This comes just one day after PKK rebels attacked a Turkish security centre in Bingol province, killing several members of the Turkish security forces including a high ranking officer, according to a statement by the PKK.
Since the break down of the two-and-a-half-year ceasefire between Turkey and the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in July 2015, clashes intensified between both sides, causing the death of thousands of civilians, the displacement of more than 400,000 civilians and massive urban destruction in some south-eastern districts populated by Kurds.
Reporting by: Jan Nasro | Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter