Syrian opposition denies concessions on Assad’s future

Screen-Shot-2015-12-10-at-23.29.06.png

Young Syrians burn posters of Bashar al-Assad in a demonstration. File photo: John Cantlie/Getty

ARA News

The Syrian opposition on Sunday stressed the importance of the removal of President Bashar al-Assad from power as a main condition for reaching a political solution to the 6-year-old conflict in Syria.

Opposition leader Riyad Hijab has insisted on the removal of Assad and his regime as a first step towards solution in Syria.

He said that President Bashar al-Assad and his followers were responsible for crimes against the Syrian people.

The Syrian opposition leader denied claims by the Russian ambassador in Geneva about concessions by the opposition regarding Assad’s future.

“This is purely media fraud and is contrary to professionalism and credibility,” Hijab tweeted.

Furthermore, he said that the Syrian people had already voiced their opinion regarding the Assad regime, “which the [opposition’s] negotiating team in Geneva talks has no right to ignore.”

In the meantime, the opposition’s High Negotiations Committee (HNC) spokesman Munther Makhos said no results were achieved after the Geneva talks and, therefore, the opposition is sticking to the initial transition plan stipulated in the Geneva Declaration.

For the latest news follow us on Twitter

Join our Weekly Newsletter

Shortlink:

Related Items

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six − 5 =

Top