- Turkish forces enter Kurdish territory north Iraq, clash with PKK
- Syrian Kurdish leader: Iran is hostile to the fundamental rights of the Kurdish people
- UN won’t back Kurdistan independence referendum in Iraq: official
- Islamist groups attack Kurdish villages northwest Syria
- Syrian Kurdish official: Iraqi Kurds have right to determine own destiny
- Syrian Kurds support independence of Iraqi Kurdistan
Nazzareno Tassone, a Canadian volunteer with the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), was killed in the city of Raqqa while fighting militants of the Islamic State (ISIS).
Tassone was killed on Dec. 21 in the city of Raqqa while fighting ISIS jihadists. On Sunday, Tassone’s body was returned home, according to officials.
The young man had told his family that he was going to Iraq to teach English, but he secretly slipped into Syria to join forces with a U.S.-backed Kurdish YPG forces.
The YPG told Tassone’s family that his body was taken by Daesh (ISIS) militants, and wasn’t recovered until May.
Hundreds of Western volunteers have joined the ranks of the Kurdish forces in Syria over the past three years to combat ISIS extremists.
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter