The Syrian actress Suzanne Salman. File photo
- Jihadists of ISIS and Qaeda attack Syrian rebels in Damascus
- Syria hosts world’s extremists
- Turkey arrests four Russians before crossing into Syria to join ISIS
- Syrian aircraft bomb area near captured Jordan crossing
- ISIS reaches Damascus
- Leader of Qaeda in Syria: “We won’t monopolize power in liberated city of Idlib”
- Turkey arrests nine Britons before joining Syrian conflict
A Syrian television actress has been killed and several people wounded in shelling of residential areas of the capital Damascus, the official SANA news agency reported on Thursday.
Before she was slain on Wednesday, Suzanne Salman, 31, had posted a message on Facebook saying: “A shell has landed near my neighbour’s house”.
Less than an hour later, her friends announced that she had been killed.
“She came to me, and I tried in vain to convince her not to go home. May God take your soul, princess,” her friend Wissal Messaiti wrote on Facebook.
Salman starred in a number of television series, the latest of which was titled “All This Love”, a 30-episode programme about love in the time of war.
Originally from Sawde, a town in the western province of Tartus, she lived in the central Damascus neighbourhood of Qaimariyeh.
Rebels who have been fighting since 2011 to topple the regime of President Bashar al-Assad frequently fire mortar rounds into parts of the capital, while government forces bombard them in return.