Kurdish female fighter who joined the ranks of the Peshmerga weeks ago. File photo
- WFP to reinstate food assistance to Syrian refugees
- Islamic State claims suicide attack that killed over 40 people in Iraqi Diyala
- Over 30 ISIS jihadis killed in U.S. strikes near Mosul
- Canada fulfills promise, accepts 25,000 Syrian refugees
- Algeria jails man suspected of links to Paris attacks ringleader
- Sweden prosecutes Syrian asylum seeker accused of committing war crimes
- Obama: ISIS ‘crime ring’ that must be defeated, coming days ‘critical’ for Syria conflict
Qamishli, Syria – The United States intends to intensify its support of the Iraqi Kurdistan Peshmerga army, which combats the radical group of the Islamic State (IS/ISIS) in northern Iraq.
According to that General Ray Odierno, head of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters in Erbil his country continues to provide military assistance for the Kurdish Peshmerga forces and the Iraqi army in the battle against the Islamic State.
After holding a meeting with the President of the Kurdistan Region, Massoud Barzani, Odierno emphasized the willingness of Washington to increase its support to all anti-IS forces in Iraq, especially the Peshmerga.
The purpose of Odierno’s visit was to observe closely conditions on the ground and confer with Presidents Barzani on how to best develop the coordination and cooperation between the coalition’s forces and the Peshmerga, which has made significant gains on the ground in the fight against IS, local media outlets have reported.
On the other hand, President Barzani explained that the Peshmerga forces continue to fight against IS along more than 1,500 km with modest means and have achieved victories against the terrorist group –which has power and advanced military weapons.
Barzani pointed out that IS is deemed a threat to everyone, and in order to face its threats, a joint international effort from all sides is required to eliminate its strongholds in Iraq and Syria.
Speaking to ARA News in Qamishli, Kurdish political activist Jiwan Issa said that the U.S. is quite aware of the fact that the Kurdish forces of the Peshmerga “are the most reliable party to defeat IS terrorists”.
Reporting by: Jan Ali
Source: ARA News