Syrian President visiting soldiers in conflicted district of Jobar, Damascus, Dec.31,2014. SANA
- ISIS militants fight back in Aleppo, bomb headquarters of western-backed rebels
- Syrian teenage girls forced to marry ISIS jihadis in Deir ez-Zor
- Kurdish-Arab alliance repels ISIS attack near Hasakah
- Syria rebels warns U.N. ‘pressure’ will prolong war
- 50 militants of ISIS killed in clashes with western-backed Syrian Democratic Forces
- ISIS militants execute three Syrian activists on charges of ‘apostasy’ and ‘spying for crusaders’
- Assad regime to allow aid into besieged Madaya, UN confirms
Damascus, Syria – After making a public appearance in the conflicted district of Jobar days ago, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has reportedly prayed at a mosque in the capital Damascus on Sunday.
Sitting in the front row, Assad joined men praying at Al-Afram mosque to celebrate the Prophet Mohammad’s birthday, according to a footage broadcast by the Syrian state TV. .
Since the start of the nearly four-year-crisis, Assad has made only occasional public appearances.
Recently, the Syrian President made several appearances, including a visit to the district of Jobar in Damascus on December 31, saying he wanted to join his loyal soldiers who have left their families to protect the Syrian capital.
Assad has also joined prayers on the occasion of Eid in October in Damascus.
According to opposition activists, the Syrian president tends to show his regime’s power on the ground by making such appearances.
Reporting by: Laila Majdalawi