Hezbollah members bod farewell to fighter killed in Syria. File photo
- Israeli warplane shot down over Syria
- Turkish officer killed, others injured in renewed clashes with PKK fighters
- Iraq: Islamic State mortar fragments show traces of chemical arms
- Turkey erects concrete wall along Syria border
- ISIS imposes curfew in Mosul after spread of anti-caliphate graffiti
- U.S. strike kills ISIS second man in Mosul
- ISIS claims responsibility for Cairo explosion that killed 29 people
Damascus, Syria – Fighters of the Islamic State (IS/ISIS) stormed bases of the Lebanese Shiite militia of Hezbollah near the Syrian border with Lebanon, media sources reported on Tuesday.
“Hezbollah fighters withdrew from strategic border areas under heavy shelling by IS militants,” media activist Adnan Furati told ARA News.
After clashes with Hezbollah fighters, IS militants seized Jousiya border crossing.
The Jousiya crossing links the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon with Qusair city in Syria’s Homs province.
“IS militants also seized villages in the vicinity of Jousiya crossing following clashes that claimed lives of dozens of militants on both sides,” Syrian activist Ammar al-Qaseer told ARA News.
The unprecedented offensive by IS militants against Hezbollah near Jousiya border crossing comes after several attempts by fighters of al-Nusra Front (Syria’s branch of al-Qaeda) to seize that area without making any progress.
Reporting by: Ahmed Ali
Source: ARA News