Druze protesters in As-Suwayda, Saturday, Sept.5. Activists
- KNC leader arrested after increasing tensions between rival Kurdish parties in Syria
- Hezbollah’s leader agrees with Donald Trump: Obama is the “founder” of ISIS
- Collapse of key ISIS jihadi border pocket in Syria
- Syrian Democratic Forces release civilians trapped by ISIS
- Islamic State losing final positions in Syria’s Manbij
- ISIS detains eight of its own militants for trying to escape the group’s headquarters in Deir ez-Zor
- Raqqa: Over 30 killed, 50 injured in Russian strikes
DAMASCUS – Angry Druze protesters broke into security headquarters of the Assad regime in the southern Syrian city of As-Suwayda, activists reported on Saturday.
This comes one day after two deadly car bomb attacks hit As-Suwayda, killing more than 26 people including prominent Druze leader Sheikh Wahid al-Balous –who was known for his opposition to the Assad regime.
The Druze community blamed the assassination of al-Balous on the regime forces.
Hundreds of people in As-Suwayda took to the street on Saturday to condemn the attacks and demand the Assad regime to withdraw its forces from the city.
Angry Druze protesters destroyed the statue of former Syrian President Hafiz al-Assad –Bashar’s father– and broke into security headquarters.
“We are aware that Assad regime has been trying to ignite the flames of sedition among the Syrian communities,” Druze activist Izzat Salloum told ARA News in As-Suwayda.
Activists reported that the protesters took over the building of regime’s political devision after clashes with security forces in the city.
Meanwhile, Syrian army forces closed the road between As-Suwayda and Damascus, and cut off electricity and internet connection in the outraged city.
Speaking to ARA News, civil rights activist Rakan Abu Khalil said the Druze community has been marginalized in Syria for decades.
“It’s time for outrage. The regime should know that we will fight for our rights and we will accomplish what Sheikh Wahid al-Balous had fought for before they assassinate him,” Khalil said.
Reporting by: Adel Hassan
Source: ARA News