Militants of al-Nusra Front (Jabhat al-Nusra), al-Qaeda branch in Syria. File photo
- Syrian Democratic Forces regain gas station, six villages after clashes with ISIS
- Jihadists flog three Syrian men to death
- Russian warplanes bomb ISIS positions in Raqqa, at least 14 militants killed
- U.S.-backed ‘Syrian Democratic Forces’ report gains against ISIS in Hasakah
- ISIS militants seize strategic town near Syria’s Homs
- Backed by Russian airstrikes, Syrian army regains key areas south Aleppo
- Assad government committed to the fight against terrorism: Syrian FM
ALEPPO – Al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate Nusra Front launched an offensive on headquarters of the regime army forces in the central province of Homs, military sources reported on Tuesday.
Rebels of Nusra Front attacked regime headquarters in several villages in the northern countryside of Homs, using heavy artillery and mortars.
“Our fighters hit strongholds of pro-Assad forces with dozens of shells and missiles on Tuesday, killing more than thirty forces,” Nusra spokesman in Homs Hassan Abbara told ARA News on the phone.
Nusra militants bombed regime headquarters in the villages of Ghadibiyah and Khifes north of Homs.
Abbara said the operations come as a response to the regime airstrikes on residential areas in the rebel-held neighborhoods in Homs.
“Pro-Assad forces have committed dozens of massacres against innocent civilians in Homs. We want to prove to this tyrannical regime that those peaceful civilians are not alone,” the Nusra spokesman said.
In the meantime, clashes renewed between regime forces and militants of the Islamic State (ISIS) in the vicinity of al-Shaer oil field in Homs province. ISIS militants have been striving to take over the oil field for months as battles continue between them and regime army forces.
Pro-Assad forces are in control of the city of Homs, except the Waer district which is held by the rebel fighters. Major parts of the northern countryside are also under the rebels’ control, while most of the eastern countryside is held by ISIS militants.
Reporting by: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News