Russian military support crew attach a satellite guided bomb to SU-34 jet fighter at Hmeimim airbase in Syria. Photo: Alexander Kots/AP
- ISIS militants execute three Kurds on charges of ‘spying for the Peshmerga’
- New York police arrest ISIS-inspired jihadi for planning terror attack on New Year’s Eve
- 2015.. Deadliest year for refugees crossing the Mediterranean
- ISIS beheads Iraqi man for helping Yezidi ‘sex slaves’ escape Mosul
- U.N. says 1mln refugees reached Europe by sea in 2015, half of them Syrians
- ISIS militants burn 20 media activists to death in Mosul
- ISIS militant leader linked to Paris terror attacks killed in U.S. strike in Syria
DAMASCUS – The Russian defense ministry said on Sunday that its latest Syria strikes destroyed vital infrastructure used by anti-Assad rebel fighters.
Russian pilots reportedly flew 39 sorties and conducted 60 new airstrikes in the Syrian provinces of Aleppo, Damascus, Hama and Latakia.
“The Russian warplanes bombed command point of one of the detachments of the Jaish al-Fatah (Army of Conquest) terrorist organization in Kafr Zeita (40 km northwest of Hama).”
“As a result of the airstrike, the running of the detachments of the Jaish al-Fatah terrorist organisation in this area was totally disrupted, after which the fighters abandoned this combat area,” the ministry of defense said.
It added that the recent strikes have also destroyed “a network of fortified tunnels” in Talbisseh town in Homs province, that has been used by militants of the Islamic State (ISIS) to hide from the Syrian army troops.
The Russian ministry said its forces have also destroyed an “advanced supply point” in Damascus province, used by ISIS to deliver ammunition and other supplies.
Moscow added that it had information of growing strife and battles between ISIS and al-Nusra Front (Syria’s al-Qaeda wing).
“Dissention between the various terrorist groups is growing, due to the battle for control over territory and cash flows.”
“According to the data from communications interceptions, just last week IS carried out three terrorist attacks using mined vehicles against field commanders of al-Nusra Front,” the defense ministry said.
Reporting by: Laila Majdalawi