Syrian rebels advance in Hama province following clashes with pro-Assad military forces. File photo
- Assad to UK: You cannot defeat ISIS through airstrikes alone, cooperation with ground forces needed
- ISIS executes two Syrian media workers in Deir ez-Zor
- Dozens of Islamic State militants killed in U.S. strikes northeast Syria
- ISIS commander injured in clashes with al-Qaeda near Damascus
- Al-Nusra militants storm Kurdish district in Aleppo, casualties reported
- Russia bombs crowded market near Damascus, killing and wounding dozens
- Kerry suggests cooperation between Assad regime and Syrian rebels against ISIS
ALEPPO – Subsequent to fierce clashes with pro-regime forces, Syrian rebel groups reported new gains on Wednesday in the northern countryside of Hama, central Syria, military sources reported.
Rebel fighters of the Army of Conquest (Jaish al-Fatih) seized control of several villages and towns in the area after fierce clashes with pro-Assad forces.
Speaking to ARA News in Hama suburb, rebel commander Mohammed Naser confirmed that fighters of the Army of Conquest were able to destroy three tanks belonging to the regime’s army after targeting them with Tao missiles.
“One tank was destroyed in the town of Lahaya and two others were bombed near the town of Morik,” he said, pointing out that fierce clashes centered in the outskirts of Morik.
Seven pro-regime soldiers and ten rebel fighters were killed in the exchange of artillery shelling in the area, according to Naser.
This coupled with several air raids by the pro-regime warplanes on rebels’ positions north of Hama and south of Idlib.
At least four civilians were killed and dozens more wounded in the airstrikes, local sources told ARA News. Similar attacks hit the villages of Karnaz, Kafr Sijna, Kafr Nabudah and Rahjan, without reports of casualties.
Noteworthy, pro-regime forces are massing troops inside the city of Hama in anticipation of possible attacks by repel groups, especially after the rebels announced the battle for Hama.
Reporting by: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News