SDF fighters entering the southeastern countryside of Hasakah after fierce clashes with ISIS. Photo: ARA News
- Assyrian leader accuses PYD of monopolizing power in Syria’s north
- Syrian Kurdish refugees divided over federalism declaration
- Syrian Kurds kill five ISIS suicide bombers south Kobane
- ISIS threatens to punish Newroz celebrators
- Kurds celebrate Newroz amidst bloody war against Islamic State
- Scores of Turkish forces killed in renewed clashes with PKK
- Kurdish National Council in Syria condemns federalism declaration by Kurdish rival
KOBANE – After one day of starting its military operations in the southern countryside of Kobane, the Kurdish-Arab alliance of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) expelled militants of the Islamic State (ISIS) from six villages in the area, military sources confirmed on Thursday.
The SDF, which has earlier recaptured more than 220 villages and towns in Hasakah province from ISIS, announced on Wednesday evening the start of a new military campaign against the extremist group south of Kobane.
“Hours after launching the anti-Daesh campaign south of Kobane, our (SDF) units regained six villages from the terror group,” said SDF spokesman Vidan Zinar, using another acronym for ISIS.
Units of the SDF, which include Kurdish, Arab and Christian fighters, have regained the villages of Saharij, Jabbad, Abidat, Marwaha, Mazra’a and al-Mansiyah near Kobane after bombing ISIS positions with heavy artillery.
The SDF spokesman confirmed the death of at least ten ISIS militant fighters in the operation, adding that the rest “escaped the area towards their headquarters in northern Aleppo”.
The western-backed alliance has also seized a large deal of ammunition and three ISIS vehicles in Thursday’s operation.
Speaking to ARA News in Kobane, Kurdish member of the SDF Sarhad Abbas said their units are now preparing to storm ISIS headquarters near Tishreen Dam on the Euphrates River.
“Liberating Tishreen Dam from the terror group would cut one of the main ISIS supply lines, as it links Raqqa province with Manbij city in the northern countryside of Aleppo,” the source said.
Reporting by: Hozan Mamo
Source: ARA News