A medic and civilians carry a casualty after what activists said were airstrikes followed by shelling by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad in the Douma neighborhood of Damascus. File photo: Reuters
- Islamic State militants behead 15 hostages from the western-backed Syrian rebels
- Three jihadists killed in Kurdish raid north Raqqa
- Palmyra: Dozens of civilian casualties reported in fresh Syrian airstrikes
- ISIS extremists throw Syrian teenage boy off a roof for being gay
- Kurdish-Arab joint forces clash with al-Qaeda, regain two villages north Aleppo
- More than 5500 ISIS militants killed in clashes with Syrian Kurds in 2015
- Assyrian Churches mourn victims of terror attacks in Syria’s Qamishli on New Year’s Eve
DAMASCUS – At least 17 civilians were killed and 25 others injured in renewed airstrikes by the Syrian regime’s air force near the capital Damascus, local sources reported on Thursday.
Syrian fighter jets launched several raids on the opposition-held district of Hammuriyah in southeastern Damascus.
“The raids caused mass destruction in residential buildings and shops in central Hammuriyah in the Eastern Ghouta of Damascus countryside,” civil rights activist Muhammad Nasser told ARA News in Damascus.
“The civil defense activists have collected the bodies of 17 victims, while more than 25 others were pulled from the rubble and transferred to a field hospital for treatment,” Nasser said.
A medical source in the targeted district told ARA News that activists were searching for victims under the rubble until the midnight on Thursday.
“There are more victims under the ruins of the destroyed buildings but the lack of equipment prevents the activists from rescuing them,” the source said, adding that the injured are in need for intensive care while the field hospital suffers sharp shortage of staff and medicines.
“The death toll will definitely increase in the coming hours if we do not receive the needed supplies urgently,” the source said.
Armed rebel groups are in control of Hammuriyah district. The Syrian regime forces have repeatedly bombed the district and its surroundings in Eastern Ghouta after accusing the rebels of using the area as a basis from which they shell regime-held neighborhoods in central Damascus.
Reporting by: Laila Majdalawi
Source: ARA News