Kurdish members of the Syrian Democratic Forces arrive in the liberated town of al-Hawl in the northeastern Syrian province of Hasakah. Photo: ARA News
- Islamic State militants behead 15 hostages from the western-backed Syrian rebels
- Three jihadists killed in Kurdish raid north Raqqa
- Palmyra: Dozens of civilian casualties reported in fresh Syrian airstrikes
- ISIS extremists throw Syrian teenage boy off a roof for being gay
- Kurdish-Arab joint forces clash with al-Qaeda, regain two villages north Aleppo
- More than 5500 ISIS militants killed in clashes with Syrian Kurds in 2015
- Assyrian Churches mourn victims of terror attacks in Syria’s Qamishli on New Year’s Eve
KOBANE – The western-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) launched a new military campaign against the radical group of Islamic State (ISIS) in the southern countryside of Kobane, after months of combating ISIS militants in Hasakah province, northeastern Syria.
The Kurdish-Arab alliance of the SDF clashed with ISIS jihadists in southern Kobane on Wednesday midnight, and recaptured the village of Saharij after expelling the radical group.
At least seven militants of ISIS were killed and several others injured in the clashes, according to military sources.
“The clashes coincided with airstrikes by the U.S.-led coalition on Daesh positions in the vicinity of Sarrin town south of Kobane,” Kurdish fighter in the SDF ranks Sarhad Abbas told ARA News, using another acronym for ISIS.
“This was the first SDF operation in southern Kobane,” Abbas said. “We promise our people that we will soon liberate the entire region from Daesh terrorists.”
In February, the Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) regained the city of Kobane and large areas in its countryside after fierce battles with ISIS. Since the establishment of the SDF, the Kurdish forces started launching joint operations alongside allied Arab and Christian armed forces in northern Syria, in a bid to expel the ISIS radical group from the region.
Reporrting by: Hozan Mamo
Source: ARA News