Kurdish fighters are seen in Afrin of Aleppo province during clashes with al-Nusra Front. Photo: ARA News
- Syrian Kurds blame regime attacks on Iran and Turkey
- Syrian regime strikes Kurdish positions in Hasakah
- US volunteer praised for his humility dies in fight against ISIS in Syria
- Tensions escalate between Kurdish parties in Syria
- Islamic State militants attack YPG positions in Hasakah
- Rojava university seeks to eliminate constraints on education in Syria’s Kurdish region
- KNC leader arrested after increasing tensions between rival Kurdish parties in Syria
AFRIN – Militant fighters of al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda branch in Syria, targeted the Kurdish area of Afrin in northwestern Syria with dozens of mortar shells, military sources reported on Wednesday.
The radical group hit the Sherawa sub-district in Afrin in the northern countryside of Aleppo, targeting headquarters of the Kurdish forces and residential buildings there.
Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) reported the death and injury of several people in the bombardment.
Most of the shells hit security checkpoints of the YPG and allied Kurdish female fighters of the YPJ near the village of Bashmere in Sherawa sub-district.
“Subsequent to the Qaeda-led bombardment, the YPG and YPJ units counter-attacked the strongholds of the terrorists in the northern countryside of Aleppo with heavy artillery shelling,” a statement by the Kurdish forces said on Wednesday evening.
The Kurdish units, in cooperation with allies of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), have recently made gains against Nusra militants and other Islamist groups in Aleppo countryside, recapturing the villages of Tat Mrash and Tanab in the vicinity of Azaz city north of Aleppo after clashes with militant fighters of Nusra Front and the Islamic Movement of Ahrar al-Sham.
The western-backed alliance has also regained the village of Keshtaar in the suburb of Tel Rafaat city north of Aleppo, which has been constantly used by Nusra militants and allied Islamists as a base from which they used to attack the Kurdish region of Afrin northwest of Aleppo.
Reporting by: Hozan Mamo
Source: ARA News