ISIS militants. File photo
- After suffering heavy losses, ISIS appeals to youngsters and elderly to join its ranks in new video
- Hundreds of Sunni Arabs joined ISIS ranks in Iraq’s Anbar
- ISIS bans sportswear in Iraq’s Mosul
- Iraqi air force bombs 20 ISIS oil tankers in Nineveh, Peshmerga hit the group in Kirkuk
- ISIS extremists throw five men off a roof for being gay
- Barzani: We will not allow extremism to grow in Kurdistan
- After liberation of Syria’s Palmyra from ISIS, Russia completes demining of the ancient city
ERBIL – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) renewed their attacks against Iraqi army positions in Anbar province, impeding the latter’s progress, officials and media sources reported on Wednesday.
Although the Iraqi army units in Anbar received military reinforcements earlier this week, ISIS was able to force the army to retreat from main headquarters in the suburb of Ramadi, capital of Anbar province.
“Daesh (ISIS) launched four suicide attacks on the army positions in Zankur district west of Anbar, causing dozens of casualties among the Iraqi troops,” official spokesman of the Anbar media office, Khalid al-Anbari, told ARA News on Wednesday.
“At least 20 Iraqi soldiers were killed and 25 more were wounded in a series of suicide attacks and explosion of car bombs in the western suburb of Ramadi,” the source said.
Al-Anbari added that the army units were forced to evacuate their headquarters in Zankur and Sufiyah in Ramadi to avoid further losses.
This comes just a mont after the Iraqi central government announced the liberation of Ramadi from ISIS militants. However, the group still holds several areas in the province, and has recently intensified its attacks on the positions of the Iraqi army.
Reporting by: Sarbaz Yousef
Source: ARA News