- ISIS executes five people on charges of “drug trafficking” in Syria’s Manbij
- North Korean forces supporting Assad in Syria
- Syrian army recaptures strategic mountain from ISIS in ancient Palmyra
- Syrian air force intensifies airstrikes in Hama, civilian casualties reported
- Syrian Islamist rebels in Daraa call on jihadis to desert ISIS ranks
- Assyrian leader accuses PYD of monopolizing power in Syria’s north
- Syrian Kurdish refugees divided over federalism declaration
DAMASCUS – Clashes broke out on Thursday between jihadis from the Nusra Front, al-Qaeda branch in Syria, and the Islamic State (ISIS) near Syria’s capital Damascus.
Abu Khidir, ISIS Emir and leader of the group’s operations in southern Damascus, was killed along with a number of his escorts when a group of Nusra militants attacked his convoy in the Yarmouk district in Damascus suburb.
“After the Abu Khidir convoy was exposed to a deadly attack by Nusra fighters, clashes broke out between both groups across the Yarmouk Camp,” media activist Khalil al-Thawri told ARA News in Damascus.
“At least five ISIS members were killed, including Abu Khidir,” the source confirmed. “Three Nusra militants were injured in the clashes–that continued until Thursday midnight,” the source said.
In the meantime, Nusra Front issued a statement announcing the death of the ISIS Emir–who had led battles against al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra militants in the Syrian capital.
“The jihadis have executed Abu Khidir and some of his followers, who had submitted themselves to serve the enemy of Allah, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi (ISIS supreme leader),” the group said.
The Yarmouk Camp has been under siege by pro-Assad forces since Islamist rebels took over the district. Civilians in Yarmouk have been suffering a sharp shortage of food and medicine.
“People of Yarmouk appeal to the international community to intervene and save thousands of innocents who had suffered enough from siege by pro-Assad forces and atrocities at the hands of radical Islamists,” al-Thawri said.
Reporting by: Adel Hassan
Source: ARA News