- US special units to support Syrian Democratic Forces in fight against ISIS
- Syrian woman flogged for preventing her daughter from marring ISIS jihadi
- Kurds under fire in Aleppo
- After suffering heavy losses, ISIS appeals to youngsters and elderly to join its ranks in new video
- World leaders call on Syrian parties to respect truce and ensure humanitarian access
- Kurds refuse any concessions to the Syrian government in Qamishlo
- Al-Qaeda militants bomb Christian town in Syria’s Hama
ALEPPO – Subsequent to fierce clashes with militant fighters of Islamic State (ISIS), Syrian rebel groups were able to regain control of several areas in the northern province of Aleppo, killing a number of jihadis during the fighting, local and military sources reported on Monday.
Local activists confirmed that this came in conjunction with the Turkish artillery bombardment on ISIS locations in the villages and towns near Syria-Turkey borderline.
Speaking to ARA News in Aleppo, rebel spokesman Saleh al-Zein said that rebel groups, including the 1st regiment fighters, the Sultan Murad Brigade and the 13th Squad were able to recapture the town of Kafr Ghan after heavy fighting with ISIS militants, during which they killed a number of jihadi militants and injured several others.
ISIS insurgents responded to the rebels-led attack by targeting their gatherings within the town of Kafr Ghan with a car bomb attack, killing and wounding several rebel fighters.
ARA News have no precise information about the death toll in rebels’ ranks.
The rebel spokesman added: “Our advancement came in conjunction with Turkish artillery fire on ISIS headquarters in the towns of al-Raee, Jarez and Hour al-Naher, causing the terror group heavy losses in manpower and equipment.”
In the meantime, ISIS jihadis launched a counter attack on the outskirts of Tel Hussein, but rebel fighters were able to deter the group’s offensive, forcing them to retreat to their positions inside the al-rare town, according to al-Zein.
ISIS was able two weeks ago to seize control of the strategic town of al-Raee in northern Aleppo subsequent to fierce battles with rebel fighters.
Rebel faction are now cracking down on ISIS militants in al-Raee, amid continuous attempts to cut the group’s supply lines in the bordering towns with Turkey, in order to compel ISIS to withdraw from the region.
Reporting by: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News