The former Dutch soldier and YPG fighter Jitse Akse. Photo: ARA News
- ISIS jihadis flogging 22 civilians in Mosul for breaking Ramadan fast
- Mosul: Islamic State executes four of its own militants for escaping battlefront
- Human Rights Watch: ISIS fighters should be prosecuted for war crimes against Yezidis
- Over 300 Yezidi captives freed in Fallujah after ISIS withdrawal
- US-led coalition shifts focus on Mosul liberation
- Turkish border police kill 11 civilians on Syrian border
- US rejects confederalism for Iraq after plea from Kurdish security chief
KOBANE – The former Dutch soldier and YPG fighter Jitse Akse (46) will not be prosecuted for the killing of ISIS fighters in Syria, the Dutch Public Prosecution service decided on Tuesday.
Jitse Akse was arrested on 13 January on suspicion of murder after he talked to media in Syria about his fight as part of the Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) against ISIS.
The Dutch police has failed to find proof that Akse was involved in the killing of ISIS fighters.
The statements of the former Dutch soldier to media were not enough proof for prosecuting him, and the Dutch judicial authorities were not able to go to Syria to investigate the case in a the war zone of Syria.
Akse in November last year told ARA News that he served in the Dutch army for more than nine years. When he discovered that the YPG needed foreign volunteers, he communicated with them through the official Facebook page of the Lions of Rojava [a brigade of foreign volunteers fighting against ISIS in Syria’s Kurdish region of Rojava].
“I discovered that they looked for volunteers and that nobody helped them [against ISIS],” he said. “They needed volunteers only, that was for me a reason to join,” the former Dutch soldier told ARA News.
“ISIS is a threat to Europe. I am not here [in Rojava] only for helping Kurds, but also for the rest of the world,” he added.
The Dutch public was completely against the decision by the Dutch prosecution service to arrest Jitse Akse. More than 55,000 people signed a petition within three days to call for his release.
The Dutch prosecution said in the statement that deadly force is exclusively reserved for official army, and any other individual that will use military violence would be investigated. They most likely want to prevent other Dutch citizens from joining armed groups like the YPG.
The Dutch prosecution also warned Jitse Akse that civilians are not allowed to join armed conflicts.
Reporting by: Wladimir van Wilgenburg
Source: ARA News