Syrian army forces are seen during clashes with Islamist rebels in Aleppo. File photo
- ISIS senior jihadi killed in US strike north Syria
- Russian officer killed in car bomb attack in Syria’s Latakia
- Turkish border police kill 11 civilians on Syrian border
- Syria’s Assad meet Russian defence minister in Damascus, discuss military cooperation
- Life under ISIS.. Civilians speak out
- ISIS extremists execute whole family for trying to escape Manbij city
- Kurdish commander: ISIS no longer able to send terrorists from Syria to the outside world
HOMS – An offensive by the Islamic State (ISIS) militant group caused the death of at least 15 Syrian army forces and the injury of a dozen more, military sources reported on Saturday.
ISIS fighters attacked a Syrian army base in the central province of Homs, using mortar shells.
“The group launched dozens of mortar shells on the Syrian army base of Qaryatayn in Homs province on Saturday evening. Huge explosions were heard subsequent to the attack,” media activist Amro al-Hussein told ARA News.
“After the attack, many soldiers were seen evacuating their positions. ISIS seized control of at least five military buildings in the Qaryatayn on Saturday,” the source reported.
A Syrian army officer, who spoke to ARA News on condition of anonymity, confirmed that 15 soldiers were killed and 11 others were wounded in the attack, without giving further information about the withdrawal of their forces from the Qaryatayn base.
Reporting by: Haytham Mustafa
Source: ARA News