Militants of the Islamic State. File photo
- Assyrian church under fire in Syria’s Qamishli
- US Central Command says anti-ISIS operation in Syrian border pocket will take time
- Islamic State militants capture several Syrian army checkpoints in Homs
- Jihadi commander killed in clashes with Kurdish YPG forces near Kobane
- Pentagon says anti-ISIS air operations resume from Turkish airspace
- American YPG fighter killed by ISIS in Manbij
- ISIS extremists slaughter dozens of Kurdish civilians north Syria
MANBIJ – The US-led coalition said that the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) are moving towards the Manbij city centre, denying ISIS access to critical supply routes. This indicates that SDF forces are closing in on the last ISIS positions in the town.
“Coalition strikes on key targets halted Da’esh attempts to reinforce positions in the north, and severed a main resupply and reinforcement route Da’esh used to conduct vehicle-borne improvised explosive device attacks,” the coalition said.
“The continued pressure SAC is applying to Da’esh inside the city has enabled civilians to flee through the SAC perimeter and escape Da’esh control,” the coalition added.
According to the coalition the fight in Manbij still heavily continues, but the SDF forces are holding their defensive positions and launching offensive operations in north and south of the city. This despite multiple Da’esh attacks with VBIEDs, armored vehicles, and large formations of fighters.
Since the start of the operation on 31 May, the Coalition has conducted more than 400 strikes near Manbij.
According to the Coalition, the operations in Manbij continue to weaken Da’esh’s threat to Turkey, Europe, and the United States.
ISIS is planning their attacks on Europe from the Manbij border pocket, which includes the town of al-Bab.
According to reports, the ISIS planning of operations abroad are run by Abu Suleyman al-Firansi, who is living with his family in al-Bab, the site of the foreign intelligence headquarters of ISIS, and one of the future targets for the SDF after the operation in Manbij is over.
Reporting by: Wladimir van Wilgenburg
Source: ARA News