Militants of the Islamic State targeting Bakara area in the countryside of Hasakah. File photo
- Syrian army blames ‘military wing of PKK’ for Hasakah clashes
- ISIS publicly beheads young man on charges of supporting Kurdish YPG forces in Syria
- Syrian army bombs Kurdish district, civilian casualties reported
- US sending fighter jets to protect forces and allies from Syrian regime strikes
- Pentagon concerned about Syrian regime airstrikes on Kurdish areas
- SDF withdraws from Manbij after liberation, handing city over to local council
- Syrian Kurds blame regime attacks on Iran and Turkey
DERIK – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) bombed Wednesday regime-held districts in Syria’s eastern Deir ez-Zor province, causing casualties among civilians, activists and eyewitnesses reported.
ISIS militants targeted the regime-held districts of al-Joura, Hawiqa and Sinaa with dozens of mortar shells.
At least 12 civilians were injured in the attack.
“Militants of the Islamic State started a new offensive on areas held by the Syrian regime in Deir ez-Zor. Since Wednesday afternoon the ISIS shelling on Hawiqa, al-Joura and Sinaa has not stopped,” local media activist Samir al-Khalaf told ARA News.
The source reported that rescue teams continued their search for victims under the rubble.
“So far 12 civilians were injured, some of them are in critical conditions, while the local rescue teams continued their search for survivors under the ruins of the destroyed buildings. The number of casualties may rise in the coming hours,” a doctor in the Deir ez-Zor national hospital told ARA News.
ISIS has imposed a siege on regime-held areas of Deir ez-Zor and has been preventing humanitarian aid from entering those areas for months.
Reporting by: Salim Faris
Source: ARA News