SDF fighters take position on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River in southwestern Kobane during clashes with ISIS militants. Photo: ARA News
- Islamic State evacuating headquarters in Syria’s al-Bab
- US Defence Secretary: We want to work with both Turkey and Kurds in anti-terror campaign
- Syrians in a state of despair amid continuous attacks by regime, opposition
- ISIS oil resources under fresh strikes by US-led coalition
- Islamic State stoning Syrian man to death on charges of ‘committing adultery’
- Chlorine attack hit Aleppo, dozens of casualties reported
- Raqqa: ISIS jihadis beheading man on charges of ‘apostasy’
ALEPPO – Clashes erupted on Monday between Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) and militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) in Syria’s northern Aleppo province.
The clashes broke out after ISIS militants tried to infiltrate into the YPG headquarters near the Tishreen Dam in the northeastern countryside of Aleppo.
ISIS militants started the offensive by detonating a car bomb near a YPG security checkpoint in the area and firing several mortar shells on YPG positions there. Then a group of militants tried to break into a major YPG headquarters in the vicinity of Tishreen Dam.
“Our forces were able to repel the attempt after clashes that killed and injured dozens of ISIS militants,” YPG spokesman Habun Osman told ARA News.
At least 15 ISIS militants were killed in the clashes, while the YPG lost four of its fighters and several others were injured.
“Also, the YPG destroyed an ISIS armoured vehicle and seized a number of heavy machine guns,” the Kurdish official said.
The YPG leadership pointed out that 11 ISIS fighters were captured while trying to escape the clashes’ area near the Tishreen Dam on Monday midnight.
In December 2015, the Kurdish YPG fighters and allies of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) expelled ISIS militants from the Tishreen Dam on the Euphrates River, which has for long served as a supply line for the extremist group between its de facto capital of Raqqa and the northern countryside of Aleppo.
Reporting by: Helin Saeed
Source: ARA News