ISIS militants shooting down a US drone. File photo
- US sending arms to Kurdish-led SDF in Syria, Turkey’s Erdogan outraged
- Syrian, Russian warplanes bomb Aleppo, over 70 civilians reported dead
- YPG exchanges prisoners with ISIS in Syria’s Hasakah
- US-led coalition delivering aid to civilians in post-ISIS Manbij
- Syrian airforce bombs ISIS-held areas in Deir ez-Zor, civilian casualties reported
- Turkey-backed rebels attack Kurds in Syria’s Afrin
- US-Russian plan to end Syria’s conflict must be saved: Lavrov
HASAKAH – The Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility for shooting down an American drone near Shaddadi City, in Syria’s northeastern Hasakah Governorate on Friday.
In a statement released by the jihadi Amaq Agency, ISIS leaders said that their fighters shot down the drone after riddling it with heavy machine guns.
Speaking to ARA News in Hasakah, media activist Muhammad Mardoud confirmed that a US drone was downed near the Syrian-Iraqi border.
“However, it was not immediately clear if ISIS was really behind the operation,” Mardoud said.
“Shaddadi and its countryside are under the control of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). ISIS has recently launched a series of attacks on the SDF positions there, and the group might have been able to infiltrate into southern Shaddadi to send a message to the US by shooting down one of its drones,” the activist said.
The Pentagon has not yet commented on the incident.
ISIS has shot down several military aircraft in Syria.
Last Wednesday, the radical group shot down a Syrian jet in a Damascus suburb. “Shortly after taking off from the Dumair Airbase in a Damascus suburb, the warplane was targeted by terrorists’ fire and crashed over eastern Qalamoun,” a commander in the Syrian Army told ARA News on September 22nd.
On July 9th, two Russian pilots died near the Syrian city of Palmyra when their helicopter was shot down by ISIS fighters.
On July 22nd, ISIS shot down a Syrian warplane in the central province of Homs. The jihadi Amaq Agency released images showing a destroyed Syrian warplane, saying that it crashed after ISIS militants hit it with a rocket. Local activists told ARA News that the warplane was hit after entering the airspace of Jib al-Jarrah District in Homs.
Reporting by: Qehreman Miste
Source: ARA News