Kurdish female fighters from the YPJ-SDF on the right of the photo, and ISIS militants are seen on the left. Photo: Jinda Ibrahim/ARA News
- Turkish army bombs Kurdish town northwest Syria, civilian casualties reported
- Islamic State evacuating headquarters in Syria’s al-Bab
- US Defence Secretary: We want to work with both Turkey and Kurds in anti-terror campaign
- Syrians in a state of despair amid continuous attacks by regime, opposition
- ISIS oil resources under fresh strikes by US-led coalition
- Islamic State stoning Syrian man to death on charges of ‘committing adultery’
- Chlorine attack hit Aleppo, dozens of casualties reported
ALEPPO – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) started to fight back in the northern countryside of Aleppo, and bombed headquarters of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), military sources reported on Sunday.
“ISIS terrorists launched a mortar attack on the SDF security centre in the Um al-Qura town north of Aleppo,” SDF spokesman Khalid Zaitoun told ARA News.
At least three SDF fighters were killed and nine more were wounded in the ISIS attack, according to the official.
“Our forces were able to deter the terror attack after bombing the ISIS fighting positions with heavy artillery,” the SDF spokesman said.
This comes just a few days after the Syrian Democratic Forces announced a new military operation against ISIS in Aleppo province.
Since Tuesday, the SDF was able to expel the radical group from several towns and villages in northern Aleppo, including Um al-Haush, Um al-Qura, Harbal and Qarrah.
“ISIS terrorists are trying to regain positions they lost earlier to the SDF, but we reassure the people of Aleppo that our forcers will continue their operations until cleansing the entire province from ISIS and its affiliates,” SDF member Zedun Heddo told ARA News.
The new anti-ISIS operation comes just two weeks after the Syrian Democratic Forces expelled the radical group from the city of Manbij–a former jihadi border pocket.
Reporting by: Siman Jiwan
Source: ARA News