Syrian army calls on rebels to leave Aleppo, offers safe passage and aid supplies

969557_489447317813456_861771356_n.jpg

ARA News

ALEPPO The Syrian regime and allies made new gains in the fight against rebel groups in Aleppo on Sunday, continuing a week-old ground operation aimed at retaking the eastern part of the city.

The Syrian army called on rebels to withdraw from the area, offering aid supplies and a safe passage. 

“The army’s general command calls all armed fighters in eastern Aleppo to leave these neighborhoods and let civilian residents live their normal lives,” the Syrian army said in a statement, published by the regime-linked news agency SANA. 

Supported by Russian air cover and Iranian-backed militias, the pro-Assad forces launched a fierce military campaign against rebel-held eastern Aleppo last week.

This comes after a ceasefire collapsed last month.

According to the United Nations, the regime-led assault has led to the destruction of most of the hospitals and medical centres in eastern Aleppo. 

The Syrian army and allied forces captured the Handcart district and parts of the Shuqaif industrial area after heavy fighting with rebels.

In the meantime, local sources told ARA News that Russian and Syrian airstrikes on rebel-held areas of Aleppo continued on Sunday, reporting dozens of civilian casualties. 

Reporting by: Helin Saeed

Source: ARA News

Top