- PYD says Kurds determined to expel Turkish forces from northern Syria
- US plans to explore possibility of joint work with Russia on Syria
- Coalition confirms 18% of Raqqa city has been liberated
- Thousands of Kurds protest against Turkish attacks on Afrin town
- Turkey says it’s not ‘declaring war’ in Syria, but ready to respond
- Russia, Iran and Turkey discuss Syria safe zones
The Syrian army said on Thursday it had extended a unilateral suspension of combat operations in southern Syria through the end of Saturday.
However, rebels said the ceasefire had already been violated by strikes on areas under their control.
The Syrian Army had announced on Monday that it had temporarily halted combat operations in the south of the country, ahead of a Kremlin-sponsored peace conference.
It was the second unilateral ceasefire in two weeks, but unlike the first declaration extended beyond Deraa city to the whole of southern Syria, including the strategic southwestern Quneitra province near the border with Israel and Sweida province in the southeast.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitor, confirmed that fighting had “almost completely stopped” in the three Governorates.
A spokesman for the Southern Front, a coalition of Free Syrian Army groups, has expressed doubt on whether the Syrian Army and its Iranian allies would halt attacks on the front lines in Deraa and Quneitra.
“The Free Syrian Army is very distrustful of the regime’s intentions in abiding by the ceasefire,” Major Issam al-Rayes told the Reuters news agency. “[This ceasefire] will end like the previous one.”
The Syrian civil war has killed hundreds of thousands of people and forced millions from their homes since it began in March 2011.
Powerbrokers Russia, Iran and Turkey struggled Wednesday to hammer out details on a plan for safe zones in Syria at a fifth round of peace talks in the Kazakh capital Astana.
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter