Syrian rebel fighters. File photo
- ISIS Emir killed in clashes with al-Qaeda in Damascus
- Al-Qaeda wing in Syria executes two men on charges of spying for the regime
- Kurdish forces arrest ISIS sleeper cell in Syria’s Derik
- Backed by Russian air cover, Syrian regime’s army mobilizing troops southern Aleppo
- Amid signs of hope in Syria, UNICEF chief sees ‘harsh evidence’ of war’s toll on children
- ISIS executes eight Dutch jihadis in Raqqa for attempting dissidence
- Kurdish snipers kill over a dozen ISIS militants in a day
Qamishli, Syria – On Wednesday, 31 Syrian opposition factions announced unification to push forward efforts to control Daraa province and make an advance towards Damascus.
The rebel groups in Daraa declared the formation of a joint operations chamber under the banner of War’s Lions to “eliminate pro-Assad forces from the province”, the newly established body said in a statement.
The first declared step by this operations chamber is to control the towns of Namir and Qirfa in the countryside of Daraa, as well as targeting the pro-regime forces in the areas of Abu Kaser checkpoint, Khirbet Ghazaleh, Tel Khidir, Mahjoura Khidir, Tel Arar and the city’s stadium.
In a statement posted online, the unified opposition factions called on what they described “honest” people in the ranks of the Syrian regime forces to dissent and join the ranks of the rebels.
Speaking to ARA News in Daraa, civil rights activist Haitham Nassar said that the rebel factions clashed with pro-regime military forces in the towns of Qirfa and Namir, where dozens were killed from both sides.
“Despite aerial and artillery bombardment by pro-regime forces on the countryside of Daraa, the unified factions (War’s Lions) have made a significant advancement in some areas,” Nassar added.
On Tuesday, 10 fighters of the FSA were killed in an ambush carried out by pro-regime forces near the town of Mahja, while the brigades of Saif al-Sham said that 35 members of the pro-regime army were killed during clashes near the town of Deir Adas in Daraa’s countryside.
Reporting by: Dilshad Muhammad
Source: ARA News