Kurdish fighters of the YPG prepare for anti-IS operations in Syria's Sere Kaniye. Photo: ARA News
- Kurds regain three new villages after clashes with ISIS north Syria
- 28 ISIS militants killed in Hasakah clashes as Kurds regain positions
- YPG evacuates headquarters amid ISIS attacks in Hasakah
- ISIS bombs Kurdish checkpoint, kills 10 people in Tel Temir
- Internal conflict hit ranks of Assyrian ‘Sutoro’ forces north Syria
- 20 ISIS militants killed during clashes with Kurdish forces near Kobane
- ISIS bombs Kurdish security checkpoints northeast Syria
HASAKAH – Subsequent to fierce battles against militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS), Kurdish forcers of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) have regained 17 villages in the countryside of Hasakah in northeastern Syria, military sources reported on Tuesday.
The YPG Media Center said in a statement that the Kurdish forces have liberated all villages in the vicinity of Mount Abdulaziz from ISIS militants.
This comes after ISIS militants launched an offensive on Kurdish-held areas in the countryside of Hasakah, followed by temporary evacuation by YPG forces who then attacked ISIS positions and killed more than 100 militants over the last few days.
The YPG leadership declared Mount Abdulaziz region completely free of ISIS, including the villages of Bidee, Khazaa, Kharaa, Tel Hamam, Jafr Jrada, Hezomiya, Um Bakir, Um Taweel, Um Fakhir and Sfan among others.
“At least 106 terrorists of Daesh (ISIS) were killed during the battles,” the YPG Media Center reported.
The statement added that the U.S.-led coalition’s support has played a main role in enabling the Kurdish forces to expel ISIS from the area.
Furthermore, a YPG spokesman told ARA News in Hasakah that their forces have taken more than 10 wounded ISIS militants as hostages during the battles.
The militants had attacked Kurdish headquarters near Mount Abdulaziz on Friday. Kurdish fighters of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) subsequently evacuated their centers in what they called a “strategic withdrawal”. On Saturday, the YPG forces besieged ISIS militants near Mount Abdulaziz, killed dozens of militants and destroyed several vehicles, a YPG official told ARA News.
Reporting by: Ahmed Shiwesh
Source: ARA News