Aid trucks reach besieged Syrian towns
ICRC and Syrian Arab Red Crescent staff distribute food parcels in Hama, Syria. File photo
- Amid signs of hope in Syria, UNICEF chief sees ‘harsh evidence’ of war’s toll on children
- 340 refugee children drowned in Mediterranean since September, UN urges safety measures for those fleeing conflict
- Situation in Aleppo and other parts of Syria ‘grotesque’ – UN rights chief
- Delayed intra-Syrian talks, brokered by UN, to begin on Friday in ‘uphill’ bid for ceasefire
- UNHCR calls for action to end Syria conflict, refugees’ misery
- Female asylum seekers face sexual harassment on journey through Europe: Amnesty International
- ‘You cannot let more people die on your watch’ in Syria, deputy UN relief chief tells Security Council
BEIRUT – Trucks loaded with humanitarian aid entered four besieged Syrian towns and villages as part of a deal agreed last month between Syria’s warring sides with U.N. help, local sources and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Sunday.
A total of eight trucks carrying food and medical aid entered the Shi’ite towns of Kefraya and al-Foua, under rebel siege in Idlib province in northwest Syria.
Simultaneously, trucks arrived in the towns of Madaya and Zabadani, where insurgents are holed up in a mostly government-held area near the Lebanese border. More trucks were heading for the nearby areas of Buqain and Saraghaya, bringing the total for the rebel-held areas to 23.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said its staff had entered Zabadani late on Sunday. “They are doing the distribution of medical supplies to treat the wounded,” said spokeswoman Dibeh Fakhr.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent and U.N. agencies were involved in a parallel aid operation in Kefraya and al-Foua, where they were distributing food and non-food supplies, she said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the war through a wide network of sources, confirmed that trucks had reached Madaya and al-Foua.
Activists said they were expecting 5,500 meal packages to go to Madaya, 2,100 to Saraghaya, and 100 to Zabadani.
Thousands of civilians are still living in Madaya, including hundreds who escaped the fighting in Zabadani.
The supplies were part of a bigger deal reached under U.N. auspices in September in talks backed by Iran, which supports the Syrian government, and Turkey, which supports the rebels.
The initial deal included a six-month ceasefire in these areas and the evacuation of wounded rebels from Zabadani, which was the scene of fierce fighting between the Syrian army and Lebanese Hezbollah fighters on one side and insurgents including the Ahrar al-Sham group, which led the talks on the rebel side.
The United Nations had earlier this month put back the deliveries because of intense fighting elsewhere in Syria.
But the arrival of the trucks, together with the fact that a ceasefire in the areas is holding, offers a rare chance of success for foreign-brokered diplomacy in a conflict now in its fifth year, in which at least 250,000 have been killed.
Thousands of civilians in the Shi’ite villages of Foua and Kefraya are also meant to be evacuated under the deal.
Short link :
- ICRC delivers food to over 95,000 people in Syria’s Aleppo
- ICRC delivers medical supplies to Syria’s Qamishli, Hasakah amid escalating conflict
- Red Cross tries to reach ISIS-held Yarmouk camp
- Syria aid diversion raises UN worries
- Food distribution under way for 60,000 in Syria’s Aleppo: Red Cross
- 10 million civilians suffer under ISIS, need humanitarian aid: ICRC