Forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad are seen in the Qalamoun mountains north of Damascus. File photo
- Syrian Islamists bomb Kurdish district in Aleppo with chemical weapons: YPG
- Syrian army retakes strategic town from al-Qaeda south Aleppo
- Canada to double refugee intake with focus on Syria
- Over 200 jihadis desert ISIS in Raqqa
- After ISIS departure, displaced families return to Mount Abdulaziz under Kurdish protection
- Prominent ISIS jihadi killed in American strike northeast Syria
- Terror attack hit Syria’s Qamishli, casualties reported
Zabadani, Syria – At least 20 people were killed on Monday evening and dozens of others were injured in the town of Zabadani in the Damascus countryside during clashes between the rebels of Ahrar al-Sham and the pro-Assad Shiite militants of Hezbollah.
Speaking to ARA News in Zabadani, the military commander of Ahrar al-Sham, Abdurrahman Nasser, said that most of the dead were members of the Lebanese Shiite militia of Hezbollah “who came to Zabadani to seize rebels-held areas after the failure of regime army”.
“The clashes took place on the western mountain of Zabadani, claiming the lives of many Hezbollah militants including commander Abolfazl Biqai,” Nasser said, adding that the rebels seized several weapons and ammunitions.
This coincided with the bombing of the city of Zabadani with six barrel bombs and artillery fire by pro-regime helicopters, causing the deaths of 12 rebels from Ahrar al-Sham, as well as the injury of dozens of civilians, local sources told ARA News.
Nasser also pointed out that the rebels captured four Hezbollah fighters, saying pro-Assad forces will continue repositioning to penetrate and advance into the rebels-held areas.
“We are planning for a harsh war of attrition. We are ready to make the Qalamoun mountains a cemetery for tyrants,” he added.
Noteworthy, forces from Lebanese Hezbollah and other militias loyal to the Syrian regime have been engaged in battles against the armed opposition groups in several areas across Syria.
Reporting by: Hassan Mohammed
Source: ARA News