Nadim Ghanem Jawad
- Islamists approach Syrian ancient city of Palmyra, monuments at risk
- ISIS power decreases in Hasakah under Kurdish attacks
- Pro-Assad forces accused of robbery in evacuated areas
- U.S. concerned about undeclared Syria chemical arsenal
- Syrian rebels combat ISIS, Hezbollah in Qalamoun
- Flag dispute causes mistrust in ranks of Syrian opposition
- From Hollywood to Syria.. Michael Enright joins Kurdish forces to combat ISIS
Damascus, Syria – Maj. Gen. Pilot Nadim Ghanem Jawad, commander of the Balli Military Airbase of the Syrian army, was killed along with a number of security members in an incident, local sources reported on Friday.
According to reports, the death of Ghanem and his companions was caused by the explosion of a barrel bomb during preparations in the airbase. Pro-Assad forces use barrel bombs in the bombardment of opposition-held areas across the country.
Ghanem is considered as one of the pillars of the Syrian regime forces. He was responsible for the barrel bombs’ campaigns.
Balli Military Airbase is an alternative to the Damascus International Airport in case the is taken over by rebels, which explains the importance of the airbase for the Assad regime.
Ghanem has assumed the leadership of the airport and the “Brigade 64 helicopters”, from which the pro-regime forces used to conduct barrel bomb attacks on the Syrian cities, towns and neighborhoods which contributed to the killing of tens of thousands and the destruction of large areas of the country.
Reporting by: Laila Majdalawi
Source: ARA News