Iraqi security forces arrested several IS-linked cells in Diyala on Saturday. File photo
- Most of ISIS suicide attacks in Anbar carried out by teenagers: official
- Russia denies support to PKK, calls on Turkey to solve ‘Kurdistan Issue’
- ISIS extremists burn 19 Yezidi girls to death in Mosul
- Moroccan footballer killed fighting for ISIS in Syria
- Peshmerga forces repel ISIS attack northern Iraq
- ISIS executes cigarette sellers in Iraq’s Mosul
- ISIS publicly execute three civilians in Tal Afar on charges of spying for Kurdish Peshmerga forces
Erbil, Kurdistan Region – Iraqi security forces arrested Saturday a group of militants from the Islamic State (IS/ISIS) in the province of Diyala, security sources reported.
The militants were arrested while trying to plant improvised explosive devices in the vicinity of Iraqi security headquarters in Muqdadiyah district in Diyala.
“Police forces in Diyala province carried out a security operation during which they were able to arrest a terrorist group linked to Daesh (IS) while planting explosives in Muqdadiyah district near the headquarters of the security forces and in the vicinity of an electricity line near our border with Iran,” Brigadier General Saad Maan, spokesman of the Iraqi Interior Ministry said in a statement.
“The interrogations revealed the intention of the terrorists to bomb a security headquarter and a power station.”
Maan pointed out that the police arrested two other terrorist cells in Baquba and Bald Ruz sub-distrcts in Diyala province.
IS militants were also able to infiltrate the several neighborhoods in the province in preparation for conducting suicide attacks. The police has reportedly captured several IS members in Mansouriya, Muradiya, Neda and Hawd as-Sudour.
Reporting by: Ahmed Shiwesh
Source: ARA News