Kurdish forces of the YPG. Photo: ARA News
- Pro-Assad forces bomb crowded market in ISIS-held Deir ez-Zor, killing 17 civilians
- Kurdish forces report gains against Islamists in Aleppo
- ISIS attacks regime security checkpoint, clashes with YPG in Syria’s Hasakah
- Jihadist training camp in Syria under French strikes
- Iran ready to discuss Syria ‘plan of action’
- YPG bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria’s Jarabulus
- Hezbollah welcomes Russian buildup in Syria, says U.S. has failed
ALEPPO – Clashes broke out on Saturday between Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) and militant fighters of al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate Nusra Front in Aleppo, activists reported.
The clashes took place in the YPG-held Kurdish district of Sheikh Maksud in Aleppo, when Nusra militants attacked YPG checkpoints.
“Rebels of Nusra and al-Shamia Front have been besieged by the Kurdish YPG forces for weeks near Sheikh Maksud district,” media activist Wael Muhammad told ARA News in Aleppo.
“The rebels attacked two YPG checkpoints in an attempts to break the siege, then clashes broke out causing the death and injury of several fighters on both sides.”
Local sources said that four Kurdish civilians were killed after being hit with mortar shells fired by Nusra militants.
In the meantime, YPG forces have seized the Castello road which links the northern neighborhoods of Aleppo city with the eastern districts. The road has been used by Nusra militants and allied Islamist rebels as a supply line during battles against regime forces in the city.
Reporting by: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News