Kurdish boy stands on the ruins of his destroyed house in Kobane. Photo: ARA News
- Iranian Kurds vow to respond to any government aggression
- Russia: ISIS extremists targeting Kurdish civilians in Syria
- US: Syrian Kurds and the PKK are not the same
- Syrian Kurds provide safe haven for thousands of Iraqis fleeing ISIS
- UN Special Envoy angers Kurds, suggests federalism provokes Syrians
- Kurdish intelligence and US-led coalition increase coordination to destroy ISIS leadership
- Iraqi Kurdistan’s security chief confirms delivery of aid to Syrian Kurds
KOBANE – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) on Monday launched a new offensive on Kurdish villages in the countryside of Kobane in northern Syria, military sources and eyewitnesses reported.
ISIS militants bombed the western countryside of K0bane with several missiles, causing civilian casualties and destroying houses in the villages of Borraz and Awina.
“Villages in the western countryside of Kobane were hit on Monday evening by dozens of missiles launched by Daesh terrorists,” spokesman of the Kurdish YPG forces in Kobane, Nuraddin Gaban, told ARA News, using the Arabic acronym for ISIS.
“The missiles were most likely launched from Daesh strongholds in Jarablous city west of Kobane,” he added.
Local sources reported huge damage in villagers’ houses and agricultural lands, beside the fall of several casualties. It was not immediately clear how many civilians were killed in the attack.
Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) and allied Syrian rebels, supported by Peshmerga troops and U.S.-led coalition’s air cover, expelled ISIS militants from the strategic city of Kobane and its countryside on the Turkish border last January, after fierce battles with the terror group.
Thousands of displaced people have recently returned to Kobane and the surrounding villages after ISIS departure. However, the radical group has been bombing Kurdish headquarters and residential districts for months in a bid to infiltrate into the area and compensate its heavy losses in northern Syria.
Reporting by: Hozan Mamo
Source: ARA News