The city of Shaddadi was liberated by the SDF troops after months of fighting against ISIS. File photo
- US military hit ISIS with ‘cyber bombs’ for first time
- Former German soldiers join ISIS in Syria and Iraq: intelligence report
- Syrian rebels recapture key tow from ISIS northern Aleppo
- Airdrops in Syria continue as UN envoy meets with Iranian official in Tehran
- ISIS militants make new gains in Aleppo
- Syrian Islamist rebels ask for evacuation of Kurds in Aleppo after massacre
- Three senior Iranian officers killed in clashes with Syrian rebels in Aleppo
HASAKAH – Western-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced on Friday midnight the liberation of Shaddadi city in Hasakah province from the Islamic State’s (ISIS) militants.
After months of battles with ISIS, the SDF has regained control of Shaddadi city –ISIS last bastion in Syria’s northeastern Hasakah province.
ISIS militants have evacuated their headquarters in Shaddadi under heavy bombardment by the Kurdish-Arab alliance of the SDF.
“More than 50 Daesh militant fighters were killed in Fridays’ battle for Shaddadi,” a spokesman for the SDF told ARA News, using an acronym for ISIS.
The source added that eight SDF fighters were killed and 11 others injured, before the U.S.-backed alliance was able to expel the extremist group from the area.
“The U.S.-led coalition’s air cover has facilitated the SDF progress on the ground. Hasakah province is now free of Daesh terrorists,” he said.
This comes just hours after the SDF units cut off a main supply route for the ISIS radical group near Syria’s northeastern border with Iraq.
“SDF units have closed a strategic supply route near Shaddadi in Hasakah province after fierce clashes with ISIS militants,” the SDF leadership said earlier on Friday, adding that ISIS movement was paralyzed subsequent to losing its main supply line with Iraq’s Mosul.
The SDF, which includes Kurdish, Arab and Christian units, had earlier liberated more than 240 towns and villages from ISIS militants on the border with Iraq. The alliance has imposed its full control over the entire territory of Hasakah province on Friday midnight.
Reporting by: Qehreman Miste
Source: ARA News