- ISIS captures ten villages from Syrian army forces southern Aleppo
- ISIS explosives continue to threaten Kurds in Syria
- Human Rights Watch calls on Syrian rebels to stop killing Kurdish civilians in Aleppo
- Syrian Kurds kill ten rebels in Aleppo, capture a jihadi in Hasakah
- Syrian regime avoids talks on political transition
- ISIS publicly beheads one of its own senior commanders on charges of ‘high treason’
- Rebuilding Syria may cost $180 billion: World Bank President
ALEPPO ــ Militants of the Islamic State’s (ISIS) radical group carried out an offensive on strongholds of the opposition factions in an attempt to advance in Syria’s northern Aleppo province, military sources reported on Friday.
Amid clashes between ISIS militant fighters and Syrian rebel groups, the U.S.-led coalition conducted several air raids on ISIS tactical units in the northern countryside of Aleppo.
Speaking to ARA News in Aleppo, rebel spokesman Saleh Zein said that ISIS militant fighters tried to advance towards headquarters of the Levant Front [main Syrian rebel group in Aleppo] on the outskirts of Miregil town on the Syrian-Turkish border, “but our fighters repelled the attack”.
“Rebels of the Suqur al-Jabal Brigade [member of the Levant Front] were able to destroy an ISIS-led bulldozer with a missile, while trying to remove the roadblocks near the town,” the spokesman reported.
The source pointed out that other clashes erupted between fighters of the Sham Corps and ISIS militants on the outskirts of the Doodyan and Kara Kopri towns, which led to the injury of a number of ISIS jihadis and their retreat under heavy strikes.
Opposition fighters have been able to recapture several locations from ISIS in the northern suburbs of Aleppo, taking advantage of the intensified U.S.-led airstrikes near the Syrian-Turkish border.
In the meantime, pro-regime forces continued to target ISIS headquarters in the northern and eastern suburbs of Aleppo, in a bid to advance in the city of al-Bab–one of the main bastions for ISIS in northwestern Syria.
Noteworthy, the northern countryside of Aleppo is witnessing battles between different armed groups. The developments in Aleppo could determine the results of the ongoing Syria peace talks in Geneva, according to observers.
Reporting by: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News