- ISIS beheads four young men in Raqqa on charges of spying for ‘crusader coalition’
- American jets bomb main ISIS weapons storehouse northern Syria
- US: We don’t support Kurdish forces in Aleppo
- Al-Qaeda, allies pound Kurdish city of Afrin with heavy weapons, civilian casualties reported
- Western volunteers set up Medical Unit in Rojava to help Syrian Kurds in war on ISIS
- US government rejects Iran’s and Syria’s criticism of additional support to Kurds
- Syrian regime underestimated Kurdish forces, but Qamishlo clashes proved YPG power on ground: PYD official
KOBANE – Subsequent to clashes with Islamist rebel groups, Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) destroyed an ammunition warehouse and a military vehicle for the Islamists in the vicinity of the mainly Kurdish neighborhood of Sheikh Maqsoud in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo, military sources reported on Saturday.
The YPG’s Media Center released a statement, obtained by ARA News, saying: “The terrorists [Islamist rebels] launched an offensive on the areas of the Muthallath, Ashrafiyeh, Youth Housing, Shaqif Housing near the Sheikh Maqsoud neighborhood in Aleppo city, northern Syria.”
“As they [Islamists] were trying to break into the neighborhood, our units [YPG] were able to deter the terrorists-led attack and destroy a military vehicle in Shaqif Housing area,” the statement reported.
Dozens of Islamist rebels were reported dead under Kurdish shelling, according to the YPG leadership.
“Then clashes erupted in the Muthallath area and our forces were able to destroy a number of headquarters for terrorists who were using them [headquarters] as warehouses for ammunition,” it said.
In the Ashrafiyeh district, at least two rebels have been killed in clashes with the YPG forces, according to the statement.
In the meantime, militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) tried to break into the Tishrin Dam area in the western suburbs of Kobane in Aleppo province by a bombed car, but the YPG forces were able to detonate it before reaching its target, according to the Kurdish leadership.
Speaking to ARA News in Kobane, the YPG spokesman Hebun Osman said that ISIS jihadis carried out another car bomb attack on Friday against their forces in the vicinity of al-Hamdouniya village west of Tishrin Dam.
“Meanwhile, the US-led coalition forces conducted several air raids on the terror group’s strongholds in the areas stretching from the ISIS-held Manbij city to the Tishrin Dam area,” Osman added, without giving further details.
With the arrival of the US special forces in the Kurdish-held areas in Syria’s north and northeast, clashes renewed between the YPG forces and ISIS militants in the vicinity of Tishrin Dam as well as near the town of Ain Issa in northern Raqqa, eastern Syria.
Reporting by: Hozan Mamo
Source: ARA News